SOUTH BERWICK, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Bishop Richard Malone joined parishioners and contractors to bless, and then break, the ground of the site of a new Catholic church in South Berwick.
In 2008, the aging St. Michael's Church in South Berwick was closed and sold to the town to be transformed into a new library. Members of the congregation joined with parishioners in Berwick and attended mass and gatherings at Our Lady Of Peace Church.
Our Lady of Peace, which was converted from a farmhouse to a Catholic church in the 1920's, also was showing signs of its age, and was too small to accommodate the combined congregation. Parishioners worked together to raise money to build a new church, and after years of effort purchased a parcel of land on Agamenticus Road in South Berwick.